There are many people out there who are very passionate about fishing and while some of them will prefer fishing the old fashioned way, there are many who would like to take advantage of the best and most modern technologies for doing so. In this regard, it would certainly be the best idea to consider the Best Portable Fish Finder and go fishing. The fact is that there are many models on the market and many people will have a great problem with selecting the best one. Well, in order to clear the mystery, the following article will focus on the main aspects that you’ll need to keep in mind when you want to get a fish finder.
Display: When looking at a display, you need to keep in mind a few aspects. They include size, resolution, and color.
Size: As with many other devices, the larger the screen, better the view, but you need to make sure you have the budget to go for a larger screen. Using a larger screen you’ll be able to read the data off it much easier and bigger screens also offer you more detail in general. And when you choose a GPS and Fishfinder combination, the larger screen size will definitely come in handy, because most of the times, the Fishfinder and GPS will actually share the screen.
Resolution: Most of the time the resolution of a screen will be expressed in a horizontal and vertical pixel count and the more pixels a screen has, the clearer the images it will be able to display. Bear in mind that it’s very much recommended you’ll go for a display that has a high resolution if you’re going to find the fishes in deep seawater.
Color or Mono: While the black and white screens are much cheaper, if you have enough money then you will love the benefits of color screens. Latter, you will find it to be much easier to fish because the information on the display of these instruments is very simple to correct. But don’t worry if you cannot afford one, because the Mono will get the job done as well.
Transducer: If you do not have a transducer, then these portable fish finders will not actually work and it will not give proper results. That is why if you’re not sure whether a fish finder will feature a transducer, it’s always better to ask to get a clear answer. The transducers also vary in types and you can go with any of them.
- Transom mount transducer: This is the most common type of transducers, which contacts well with water and it is mounted on the back of your boat. It’s a great solution if your boat is smaller in size.
- Thru-hull transducer: This type will mount through the hull and when it passes through water, it will not be subject to cavitation interference. It’s a more expensive option and it’s usually a good choice if you have a larger boat, but in order to properly protect it, you may require a faring block. Speed and temperature are available with the thru hull transducer.
- Shoot-thru or in-hull transducer: While it may not be a common type, it is still a good option and you can mount it inside your boat, emitting sound waves through the boat’s hull. You’ll need to learn how to use it properly and you should also exercise great care with it, as it’s quite expensive.
Sonar Power: The power of the sonar is very important, especially if you are going to find fish in deep seawater. The more powerful the sonar, the stronger the return Frequency will be. There are 2 ways to display sonar power on a fish finder and they are RMS and peak to peak. The latter is eight times of RMS.
Single and Dual Frequency: If going for a single frequency model, it will transmit signals at a frequency of two hundred kHz, which offers a quite narrow view. Going for a dual-frequency model, it will manage to transmit signals at 50 kHz and 200 kHz, which means you’ll get the best possible view of the water under the boat, regardless if it’s deep or shallow water.
With that being said, these are the main aspects you should consider if you are looking for a great fish finder. Before buying your desired model, be sure to also read the Best Portable Fish Finder Reviews.
Top 3 Best Portable Fish Finders in 2021
Garmin Echo 550c the portable fish finder. This fish finder is attached to your boat. It helps you to locate exactly where the fish are present in the seawater. It gives an accurate result. Garmin Echo 550c fishfinder detects the obstacles, water tower, rocks easily using the SONAR system. Its sonar frequency is 200/77 kHz and RMS power is 500 Watt.
This is a GSM device. In which two – frequency dual-beam transducer is present. Its beam width up to 120 degrees. It has a 5-inch display with a 640 x 480-pixel display resolution. And it is lightly weighted because it can be easy to carry and easy to mount on a boat. Its maximum depth range is 1900 feet.
- This device used Garmin HD-ID technology.
- It used dual-beam transducer.
- Maximum depth range is 1900 feet
- The frequency range is between 77 and 200 kHz. And RMS power is 500 Watt.
Lowrance Elite-4x DSI is the best portable fish finder. This is high quality and high-performance capability fish finder as compare to another fish finder. In this device, the SONAR transducer is used to give accurate, sharp, and clean images of the locations where the fish are present in water. The Elite- 4x a dual transducer frequency is 455/800 kHz. And RMS power is 350 Watt.
Lowrance Elite -4x DSI device has a 3.5 inch/89mm screen size with 320 x 240 pixels. It is lightweight because this device carries easily. Its maximum depth is 200 feet. This device was completely waterproof and sealed. This device provided users to with dual viewing images or location options which include full-screen mode.
- Dual tranducer frequency is 455/800 KHz.
- Screen size is 3.5 inch with 320 x 240 pixels resolution.
- Simplified navigation menu.
- RMS power is 350 Watt.
- One year Warranty.
- SD card slot is present.
- Internal GPS system is present.
Humminbird 597ci HD DI Combo is the best portable fish finder product. It has excellent GPS tracker ability with the help of a GPS tracker it shows the accurate location of fish depth in water. It has excellent 2D imaging and also dual-band sonar imaging with 200/455 kHz sonar frequency. RMS power is 500 Watt. The maximum depth in water is 600 Feet 2D.
Humminbird 597ci HD DI Combo has a 5-inch diagonal screen size with a 640 x 640-pixel resolution with an LED backlight display. Ti gives the zoom in and zooms out option. It has a 20-degree beam and a wider 60-degree dual-beam switch fire sonar. It has down imaging 400w PTP and 2D.
- The maximum depth is 600 Feet 2D.
- 5-inch diagonal screen size.
- Resolutions are 640 x 640 pixels.
- Down imaging 400w PTP and 2D.
- 200/455 kHz sonar frequency.